August 5, 2007

shakespeare: major poet for fall

I know this seems cliche, and I know some people may resist or be tired of him, but I am going to suggest Shakespeare as our first poet to take a look at together. I am suggesting him because he does seem so big, because so many allusions arise from his work (though, to be fair, then we ought to really study the Bible and mythology vigorously too), and because (and this is a teacher thing) I want to pull double duty as I am teaching him again this year. I'd like to do a better job, even if the kids might think it's just weird Miz S again, doing her nerdy obsessive thing with Shakespeare (or Dickinson, or whomever).

So tonight, I go to bed, after we have painstakingly arranged seating charts for the reception, with Will in the World, a relief from all that is preparing for a wedding (and cleaning of the house for those guests who will have this one time to see where we live, this one visit to sear it into memory, and no matter how we change the wall colors or get rid of the ratty furniture, this is what they will call up when they imagine us in our home).

Perhaps someone else can suggest our winter poet?

Also: Just finished The Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson. If you have not yet read it, I strongly recommend this story in poem form. Very moving; I am thinking this will be one of those books I'll have to buy for other readers.

No comments: